Monday, February 13, 2006

What happened to northern Manhattan?

When I Google'ed "map of Manhattan" I was dumbstruck at the number of map images (and respective websites) that have edited out upper Manhattan (see it here). The maps' makers--who you know are downtown New Yorkers themselves--just lopped off everything above Central Park as if it all broke off and floated away. See example below:

(from: Manhattanliving.com)

Harlem, El Barrio, and Washington Heights must be a part of the Bronx, I guess. Hmmm...Could this be the map the Mayor Bloomberg consults when designing the budget?

2 comments:

Nicole Pesce said...

A resident of Spanish Harlem myself, I totally agree; I was an a job interview on Monday, and the interview looked at my address and was like, "Wow, you're really up there!" Meanwhile, I'm only on 103rd; there are still many, many blocks farther north of me. And up north is where the few remaining pockets of old-school New York neighborhoods actually still exist, rather than the bougies downtown. When you've got a Chanel store in Soho, you know Downtown is in bad hands.

Monika Fabian said...

Yeah, you'd think we lived in the 18th century, in New Amsterdam or something.