Thursday, June 29, 2006

It's a boy!

The rescue stork dropped a little male poodle mix named Andy into my family. He's obedient, house- and leash-trained, and smart. My mom, stepdad, and at least one of my cats are thrilled. Dannyboy has adapted well while Jupiter is quite defensive about him. But that's the only hiccup. Andy is really good with them though. He doesn't snap or bark at them. And when Joop does his hissing/defensive stance thing, Andy just stops, looks at him, turns around and walks another way. With people it's a different story. Around strangers he barks. He's already bitten and punctured the skin around each other my thumbs. Here's a photo:

The rescue believes he's around five years old. They say he is a Westie/Poodle mix. I, however, think he's a French Bulldog/Poodle because of the similarity in perky ears. Neither Westies nor Poodles nor "Wee-Poo's" or "Westie-poos", their trendy hybrid, do either. And today, I saw a frenchie around my block that had identically-shaped ears.

According to the rescue, he once belonged to an elderly woman who left him in their home when she was moved to a nursing home. The woman's daughter found Andy starving and shivering a few days later while she was cleaning out the place. This is what he looked like when the rescue first got him:


I think you can see it in his eyes that he's had a pretty rough past. But that's all over now that he's been taken in by yours truly, M. Doolittle.
In other news, I was layed off from dogwalking on Sunday. I worked one business week. I was gonna ask for time-off anyway so it all works out. Just as it always does...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

M. Doolittle, still haven't made it back to NY - this Afro-Latino project is too much! Seriously though, my drive through the Southwest is a lot like Smoke Signals, and I'm learning so much. By the end of this project I am hoping that all ethnic strife between Africans and Latinos will be solved in time for the next election so that there is home for the US, even if it is only a tiny glimmer of hope! This is a pathetic way to make a raincheck on our long overdue coffee meet-and-catch-up, but in the meantime I'll keep visiting the ol' blog and will call you when I get into town. Too bad abot the dogwalking job - but what a cute pup you scored from the deal! - amanda