Tuesday, March 07, 2006

No donating for YOU! & Oscars talk

Got rejected AGAIN! Last Saturday, I went to another donation place to give platelets (not the whole blood just the platelets) and my iron was even lower! Who woulda thought a little double expresso would do such a number on the iron count. Boy I tell ya, if getting into college or grad school depended on your iron count I'd probably still be an eighth grader.

Oscars were good. Gustavo Santaoallla (the Argentine who won Best Original Score for Brokeback Mountain and dedicated the award to all Latinos in is acceptance speech) is quite special in my heart because he's Cafe Tacuba's producer extraordinaire. He's also produced Juanes and sold his Bajofondo Tango Club song to a car company but hey, the guy's a got a mortgage like everyone else.

For the record, Brokeback was robbed.* The Times hit it on the head; Crash was the hometown fave, very FUBU (For Us By Us), if you will. As a film, Crash is an afterschool special for idiots and as realistic as Rupaul competing in a Miss America pageant. I couldn't sit through the entire movie, I walked out of the theater. I also thought Heath Ledger's cowboy was better than Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Capote; but overall, the burly blonde is gifted. Jon Stewart was a riot though. I loved the faux-political ads.

*I could write volumes or talk hours about how Brokeback is a great movie. Suffice it to say, the movie was the true winner this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whew, glad you got that out after my text? i hope someday we can talk about the movie, it brings up some really good issues around binary racial framing - and i think we stand on opposite ends of the spectrum even though we have the same goals and ideals about la raza...

a.

Monika Fabian said...

I'm always open for discussion, Amanda. But I will just say that there would be many facets and levels on the debate about which movie should have been the winner, i.e. aesthetics, level of controversy and/or taboo in today's society, cast and crews and their influence and contribution to the vote. I can't really speak about its accuracy since I'm not from LA but the movie was soo over-the-top, phew I would think one needs a spaceship not an airplane to get there!