Sunday, October 15, 2006

First week at the yob (that's Spanglish for 'job') went surprisingly well. I gotta wear office dress (no sneaks or jeans), the florescent lighting does nothing for my beautiful complexion, a.m. rush hour sux big fat maracas, and mon-to-fri, 9-to-5 work schedule makes feel like a programmed lab rat, I'm an absentee doggy mum, everything's expensive, my chair back does nothing to distribute my boob weight well, but beyond that I can't complain.

Everyone was very helpful, welcoming, and chill. All the big-wigs seem to be in the main headquarters uptown or elsewhere so my work area isn't that fancy schmanz. And animals are the number one topic, concern, and priority always, which is awesome.

Offices are the strangest places. Who the heck thought up the central air, florescent lighting, sealed up window bit and the wall to wall carpeting? Because it's just gross. I share an office with a skinny feisty and outspoken web coordinator from chinatown. It's sort of like college. I was bunked with my 180-degree counterpart. It's cool most of the time because she's pretty amusing. And it's heaven when she's off because I can play my music in our office and/or work in silence if I choose. The one thing that is hard about the arrangement is when she starts griping about the computer she's working on not working and doesn't let up until she gets me to take notice and validate her technological dismay. By the time she succeeds in distracting me from my stuff, her computer's reloaded, she quiets down and resumes her work while I'm left all out of it.

Nevertheless, the pos's way outweigh the negs. And I'm writing. Writing. Writing. Writing. From 9 to 5. It's what I get paid to do. It's a beautiful thing. And I've met someone. And D's a beautiful being. And we're taking our time with everything. And it's really nice. We type or talk just about every single day. Saturday we went to my fave borough, the Boogie-down, to the Botanical Garden and to my fave restaurant. We discovered this beaten trail in the middle of the Garden that felt as if we were in a pristine piece of nature far away from where we actually were, in between the Bronx River Parkway and the Bronx River in New York City. There's a great glass installation exhibit throughout the Garden too--I highly recommend.

I'm happy. Life is normal but at the same time good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What what?! A new someone?! That's so great!! They'd better be really good to you!! How muy bien :). I'll hear all about it when I finally call to catch up, someday...- A

Anonymous said...

No, for real...I *was* going to call last noche...but it was too late for you after I added three hours to my Cali time!!! Don't be a hater, don't give up...I have the best intentions of calling before I arrive in my home away from home! Happy monday! Besitos!