Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Journalism school these days

Yesterday I met with one of my journalism professors and it was a positive and constructive time for all. He was relieved I didn't cancel at the last minute, like two of my classmates had, and I was happy to get direction on my final article.

Thinking about how much work is still left undone did kinda overwhelm me though. I felt like I when was at Teotihuacan in Mexico City again. After walking up ten minutes worth of steps in the hottest, smoggiest air, I looked up and realized that I had not reached its peak. I hadn't even done enough to see the sun.

I was happy to learn that I made a good choice in opting not to take his course on reporting in New York City and instead choosing an investigative reporting course. Judging from his description of the course, it sounded like a lot of human interest "best pizza in the city"-type of work. That sort of writing sounds unappealing these days.

I'm also taking Covering Latino and Caribbean Communities in New York City with the Daily News' Latino columnist Albor Ruiz next semester. None of my journalism professors have heard of him. He may be good after all...

To-do today:
Email/call more sources for the foster care policy story

" " people for the Latin Alternative music paper; review the library books for background info and add them to the bibliography

Finish the small policy paper

No comments: